What is OpenJUMP
"JUMP is a computer program that uses a unified mapping platform as a visualisation framework..." (changed ESRI keynote on What is GIS? by M. Bobzien)
But to be a bit more serious - OpenJUMP is an open source GIS software written in Java and it is based on JUMP GIS by Vivid Solutions. Furthermore...
- It is a Vector GIS that can read rasters as well
- OpenJUMP is known to work on Windows, Linux and Mac platforms, but should work on any operating system that runs Java 1.5 or later.
- It is not just another free demo viewer, but you can edit, save, analyze etc. with JUMP / OpenJUMP
- It works, even with medium size datasets, and with professional touch
- It provides a GIS API with a flexible plugin structure, so that new features are relatively easy to develope around the sound mapping platform.
- It utilizes OGC standards like SFS, GML, WMS and WFS
- It is already translated in English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Portugese and Spanish. The translation in other languages is in progress.
- ..and it is free (under the GPL license).
OpenJUMP finally adds some key enhancements to the original JUMP software, including:
- I18N (internationalization),
- more drawing and geometry editing tools,
- advanced attribute query,
- enhanced set of selection tools,
- image export in Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) format,
- option to show the actual map scale,
- function to copy objects including attributes,
- a tool to zoom to a user defined map scale,
- it can show layers dependent on the current map scale,
- preparation for Mr SID raster files
more detailed info: